Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lección #3--El béisbol y la República Dominicana

The objectives of this lesson are:

1. To learn about the origin of baseball in the Dominican Republic.

2. Learn about the influence of the United States on the Dominican Republic regarding sports.

3. Learn about the influence of the Sugar Mills' slow seasons on playing baseball.

3. Recognize and learn about a few Dominican players that have become famous in the USA for baseball.

Please follow the instructions below:

Step 1: Please view the powerpoint below.



Step 2: Now, please take the quiz to test your comprehension of the powerpoint presentation.

El béisbol de la República Dominicana



Question #1: La primera liga profesional fracasó (failed) porque_____.




Question #2: ¿Cómo se llamaba el equipo que ganó en la primera liga profesional?




Question #3: ¿En qué año se formó (formed) la primera liga profesional de la Rep. Dominicana?




Question #4: Los \"marines\" de los EEUU llegaron en el año_________.




Question #5: ¿Quienes trajeron el béisbol a la Rep. Dominicana?




Question #6: No había béisbol profesional por _____ años.




Question #7: Cuando no había mucho trabajo en los centrales azucareras, los trabajadores____________.




Question #8: La temporada lenta de los centrales azucareras es por ___________ meses.




Question #9: La Rep. Dominicana produce más \"big leaguers\" que cualquier otro país (excepto los EEUU).




Question #10: ¿Con cuales equipos jugó Sammy Sosa?







Step 3: Now please watch this YouTube video about the movie "Sugar"



Step 4: Please answer the three short answer questions by clicking on the link below:

Short Answer Questions

Step 5: Please leave a comment in the white comment box about the lesson.

25 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Slide show quiz. I believed that helped me in learning the information and it allowed me to go back and view what I missed and findthe correct answer right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed learning about the history of baseball and how it relates to the DR. The slide show was very informative and was easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slideshow is informative and easy to understand. I like the quiz because it shows what I did wrong. And I can go back to the slides while answering those questions.The Youtube video helps me understand the culture more. And more importantly, it's not boring at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slideshow was very informative and easy to understand. I learned a lot about the development of baseball as the number one sport in the Dominican Republic. Watching the youtube video about "Sugar" makes me want to see that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the slideshow, it taught me a lot that I didn't know about baseball in other countries. I really want to see the movie Sugar now and I think it would be very interesting.
    Katie Watson

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an interesting way to learn more about the Dominican Republic and the popularity of baseball there. I really want to see this film now.
    -Derrith Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This type of learning helps me more than Centro and I wish we had done this previously. I like how I can go back and check my answers and see why there were wrong and not have a specific amount of tries.
    -Emelia Block

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the slideshow and the quiz was helpful in making sure I caught everything that was in the slideshow. I really want to see the movie Sugar!
    -Julia Norwood

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this activity :) I think that learning about baseball in the Dominican Republic is very interesting!! I also like that we learn more than just the required material in Spanish 102!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this assignment. It was cool to learn about baseball in a different country other then America. I'd also really like to see the movie Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the powerpoint because it was very informative and interesting. The interactive lessons are much more effective than centro. I want to see Sugar!
    -Samantha Worden

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the quiz because it follows the powerpoint exactly. The powerpoint is easy to understand and it is much more effective than centro. I really enjoy this style of learning.
    -Kylee Buchanan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this activity. Learning more about spanish speaking countries, like the Dominican Republic, makes the spanish language a lot more interesting to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked that the slides were in Spanish, because reading it and comprehending every word helps me learn. I thought the topic was very interesting also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i grew up playing baseball and it is still one of my favorite sports. It was cool learning about it from a cultural perspective

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the ten multiple choice questions, they helped me see what all I actually understood from the powerpoint readings. I also enjoyed the you tube clip about the movie "Sugar," even though I have already finished the movie portion of my portfolio, I would still enjoy watching this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the powerpoint of the history of baseball in the Dominican Republic was very interesting and easy to follow. There was a lot of information in there that I did not know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The powerpoint was good for an online lesson and the questions for the powerpoint and the video were both easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the powerpoint pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The lesson was clear and easy to follow; I learned a lot that I didn't know about the history of baseball and the Dominican Republic. The video makes me want to see "Sugar," though it was hard to tell what the news ladies were saying during the preview because I was paying attention to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought that it was a really interesting slide show. I didn't know much about the History of baseball or the Dominican Republic. I thought the slides were pretty easy and I didn't have trouble following them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought the slide show was interesting. I didn't know that they even played baseball in the Dominican! The slides had a lot of information that I found interesting. I like learning about latin american cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this activity it was interactive unlike centro. The power point pesentaion was very imformative and allowed me to go back if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was interesting. My computer was malfunctioning a little, otherwise it was good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was a nice little history lesson. It was interesting that the seasonal work at sugar mills influenced the cultural hold on baseball.

    ReplyDelete